Objective="Maintaining good health of the people through preventive and curative health services."
Details for Reform Option "SAMARPAN Scheme Hoshangabad "
The status of disabled peoples in India is very Pitiable. Low literacy, few jobs and widespread social stigma are making disabled people among the most excluded in India. Children with disabilities are less likely to be in school, disabled adults are more likely to be unemployed, and families with a disabled member are often worse off than average. As per Census 2001 more than 21.1 million peoples which is more then 2% population of India is disabled. When we are analyzing the data it is found that about 60% of the disabled persons from are from the age group 10-50 years; the reason is in most of the cases the symptoms of disabilities are overlooked in childhood stage. These figures can be minimized by the early intervention. District Administration Hoshangabad (MP) had taken an initiative SAMARPAN, which is an unique intervention for early identification, screening, treatment and rehabilitation of children with developmental delay or physically disability. It is a convergence model of Health, Women & Child Development and District Disabled Rehabilitation Centre (DDRC) with the leadership of District Administration. In this initiative all the children of age group 0-3 years are being examined at Aanganwadi level and scrutinized for further medical checkup. All these processes are specifically designed by the Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education and Research IPGMR Kolkata for this initiative
A unique initiative of Dist . administration hoshangabad Technical supported by Dr Arun Singh formally HOD Neo Natology Department of IPGMER, SSKM HOSPITAL Kolkata, Early Intervention clinic. The need was felt Dist Administration Hoshangabad in July 2010, that while the babies discharged from sick new born care unit would improve survival of very sick children, but we are aware that we are morally responsible for the quality of life of these children. The services are required, with the help of a multidisciplinary team to address this issue. The DDRC along with SNCU Hoshangabad could develop a center with tools and equipments for screening and intervention of children between 0-3 years. Over a period of time home based early intervention could be set up at village levels also. Thus this center would also built capacity of the district to screen and intervene at an appropriate time for any deviation from normalcy.
.. The medical checkup and follow-up checkups is being carried out in DDRC by multiple disciplinary specialist. Equipments, kits, medicines and transportation are being provided free of cost. Also, the complete data of each children is being kept in the digital record in specially designed IT application for analysis and future reference.
About 1 crore to be utilized from existing fund of different departments.
Samarpan DDRC Building Dist hospital campus Hoshangabad Madhya Pradesh.
Started from Aug 2010 required about 6 to 8 month to be functioning
EIC Hoshangabad is a unique intervention for early identification, screening, treatment and rehabilitation of children with developmental delay or physically disability. It is a convergence model of Health, WCD and district disabled rehabilitation centre (DDRC) with the leadership of district administration.Tcehnical support of Dr Arun Singh (formally HOD Neo Natology Department) IPGMER Kolkata initiate the idea with State Health Society and district administration and contribute the financial support for provide technical support from Dr. Arun Singh head of the department of Neonatology IPGMER Kolkata. Under the guidance the establishment of EIC in Hoshangabad.
1- Before the initiative, the first sign of any type of possible development delay U5 children was not being looked into at community level leading to late detection and loss of precious infant years thereby making the case difficult for intervention. Serious gap in terms of resource such as trained professionals(audiometric, psychologist etc.), equipments and accessories was present which further added to the challenge.
2- Coordination issues, along with follow up without an incentive to parents/mobilisers also posed as major problem.
3- It is based on convergence but main problem is ownership.
4- Lack of technical expertise.
Many Department has approved and provided funds to run the systems (List Enclosed). Many department like District Health services, Administrative services, NIPI, National Rural Health Mission, Woman Child Development and Health Rural development etc are supporting it.
Who needs to be consulted
A service can be as simple as prescribing glasses for a two-year-old or as complex as developing a complete physical therapy program for an infant with cerebral palsy. The goal is always to help the child achieve the highest possible functioning and interaction at home and in the community. An early intervention program can also provide support and guidance to your family.
In a nutshell, early intervention is concerned with all the basic and brand new skills that babies typically develop during the first three years of life, such as:
• physical (reaching, rolling, crawling, and walking)
The need was felt in July 2010, that while the babies discharged from sick new born care unit would improve survival of very sick children, but we are aware that we are morally responsible for the quality of life of these children. The services are required, with the help of a multidisciplinary team to address this issue. The Dist. Administration Hoshangabad could develop a center with tools and equipments for screening and intervention of children between 0-3 years. Over a period of time home based early intervention could be set up at village levels also. Thus this center would also built capacity of the district to screen and intervene at an appropriate time for any deviation from normalcy.
EIC is established with the technical support of Dr Arun Singh Kolkata . Basic District Disability Rehabilitation Centre is expanded as EIC with support of Social Justice Health, WCD .
• Then AWW performed primary screening during her house to house visit i.e. called Samarpan screening test (SST annexure attached) for all 105550 children below 5 years of the district and upload their data base on Vatsalya software.
• Since 4 Feb. 2012 Samarpan EIC rolled out its activities with joint active participation of all concern departments.
• Administrative Officer DDRC is nominated as Nodal Officer for EIC by Collector.
• Children identified with any symptoms of any disability are mobilized to EIC by AWW according to micro plan prepared for the screening by therapists.
• In this exercise vehicle of health department is used for transportation of children.
• 887 differentially abele children are identified after diagnosis 1624 children by all the concern specialists after screening children till 30 June 2014.
• In which children required any higher level treatment like surgery are sponsored by Social Justice, DWCD and Health department relatively.
• As per need aids also provided to children like hearing aid by social justice department.
• After basic diagnosis as per need these children again mobilize to EIC as per their schedule for follow up.
• This training was based on training module ShishuVikasSahayika basically developed by IPGMER Kolkata and Hindi version is develop.
• Follow up completed of 689 children out of 1624 children earlier found abnormal till 30June 2014.
• Heart Surgery 16 ,Cleft Lip & Palate surgery-9,Ctev Surgery-39,cataract surgery-1 lens disribution-03 ,aid & appliances 259 Etc.
Chances of Replication
Following services are being provided at Samarpan presently:
1. Medical services: common medical; preventive health and immunization.
2. General women & Child services: nutritional and related to feeding of babies.
3. Neurological assessment for excluding neurological deficits in high risk newborns.
4. Physical therapy: Services to prevent or lessen the movement difficulty or related functional problems
5. Occupational therapy: Services to promote self-help skills, adaptive behavior, adaptive play, sensory, motor and postural development
6. Psychological services: Administrating DSCII & DDST and thei interpretation for assessment of psychological development, behavioral characteristics of children and correction of related disorders.
7. Cognitive development: Assessment, learning and mental health and
appropriate intervention of the related problem including play and socialization
8- Hearing: For identification and intervention of hearing deficits in babies with or without risk factors.
9- Speech & language: For Identification and intervention of speech language pathology delay in Oro- motor, language, communication and comprehension skill.
10- Vision: For identification and intervention of visual problems like refractive errors, cataract, glaucoma, amblyopia etc.
Early Intervention Centre Samarpan is the first of its kind model in the country demonstrating early identification, intervention for all U5 children registered in Integrated Children Development service (ICDS) and in district hospital district Hoshangabad for developmental delay. It demonstrates the efficacy of intersectoral, interdepartmental and inter institutional convergence model optimizing resources. It suo motu screens all U5 children in district en masse for detecting earliest sign of development delay facilitating their possible recovery to normal curve of development.
Former Collector Hoshangabad
Mo. No. 91-9425019888